Wednesday 15 September 2010

Little Lichfield

On Wednesday 8th I headed off to Lichfield which is where Hilary works. Lichfield is a nice little town about an hour away from Rugby.  I got there just before lunch so Hilary and I headed off to grab something to eat at a great restaurant that sits on top of one of the large ponds (pools) in the town centre. After lunch Hilary headed back to work and I started exploring!
On the list of places to see was the Samuel Johnson Birthplace Museum, which was also his family home. Samuel Johnson is mostly known for publication of the Dictionary of the English Language.. The museum was wasted on me as I had no idea who he was.
After the museum I snuck into the Guild Hall and took some photos quietly…I’m not sure if I was really supposed to be there. I then headed to the sight of what was once an old Franciscan Friary and is now a community garden.
The main attraction at Lichfield is the three spired cathedral, the only one of its kind in England. The cathedral is huge and the front entrance is covered in statues. Inside is even more spectacular than outside. Unfortunately the stained glass window is being repaired…but if I come back in 10 years I will be able to see it! The skull of St Chad lies within the cathedral in an upper room. They would bring it out on special occasions to show off to the congregation.
Across from the cathedral is the home of Erasmus Darwin, the grandfather of Charles Darwin. Erasmus was also a leading scientist and all around smart guy…but it wasn’t worth the entry price to see the house of some old guy who is trading off of his grandson.
After this it was time to meet Hilary at her office and head home. But I did pass some ducks on my way…I’ve named them Zsa Zsa Gabor ducks…I hope Matthew likes them.
Samuel Johnson's dictionary...thrilling stuff!
Site of the old Franciscan Friary
Statue in honour of Capt. Smith - Capt. of the Titanic
One of the pools in Lichfield (not for swimming...obviously)
Lichfield Cathedral
The front is covered in hundreds of statues
A room where the Bishop washes the feet of the other ministers at Easter time.
The ministers sit on the red cushions while someone stands behind them in the gap between the pillars, supporting their back.
Slices through the carvings inside the chapel from the Civil War and sword fighting
The stained glass window closed for repair...for the next decade!

A mallard!
Zsa Zsa Gabor ducks with their fluffy hats!

No comments:

Post a Comment