Saturday 9 October 2010

Chasing Leeds

Wednesday 15th was D-Day! The day I moved onto campus. Martin and I drove up through some pretty miserable weather to find the temperature in Leeds significantly colder than Rugby…GREAT!
I found my room and started carrying in my things from the car. The room itself is a perfect size and nicely furbished. The bathroom leaves a little to be desired! It isn’t a bathroom…it’s a wet room. This means that the shower and toilet and sink are crammed into the space of an area slightly larger than your average toilet cubicle. Showering involves straddling the sink and the toilet bowl.  So, as my uncle Pete so eloquently put it, I can multi-task when I’m in the bathroom and Skype at the same time because the door opens on to my desk!
There are 8 other rooms to my “flat” and a common kitchen which is nice and big with a good sized sitting area for all of us to eat at. There are also 3 fridge/freezers so plenty of storage space for everyone.
Our flat is basically the United Nations…we have people from all over the place (they obviously lumped all the internationals together). It’s a great bunch of people and we all get along really well!
The building is the Henry Price Residences and is right at the top of the campus. The best part about the location is that the distance from the front door to the Law classrooms is about the distance from the driveway of 34 Cranston St (my home) to the corner of Duncan St. For those unaware…not even 50 metres! Perfect location and all on a slight downhill slope!
The first night I hung out with a girl in our flat from Philadelphia and some friends that she already had in Leeds. We hit the town pretty hard that first night…and it’s all gone downhill from there!

Before shopping and unpacking:




My view - beyond the trees is a big park called Hyde Park
(There's a Hyde park in almost every town!)


Post shopping and unpacking:



One of the two GIANT pin boards in my room!
Items from Australia in aid of filling these are accepted.
 
My bookcase...yearning for more books!
 
My other love...the heater!




No comments:

Post a Comment